Gail's Shrimp and Crab Cakes (TNT)

Gail's Shrimp and Crab Cakes (TNT)

8 oz precooked medium-to-large shrimp, peeled, deveined, and chopped
6 oz can of crab meat, drained (check for any shell bits, just to be safe)
1 cup crushed buttery crackers (I used Townhouse)
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion
1/2 cup tri-color coleslaw mix
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp prepared yellow mustard
2 tbs Chili sauce
2 dashes Tabasco sauce (optional)
1 tbs Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 435.  
 
In a medium bowl, combine shrimp, crabmeat, crackers, onion, and coleslaw mixIn a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, mustard, chili sauce, and Tabasco.  Gradually mix mayonnaise mix with shrimp/crabmeat mix.  Mix in Parmesan cheese.  Form into 9 patties.  

Place patties on a baking sheet sprayed with non-stick olive oil.  Bake for about 8 to 10 minutes on one side, then gently turn patties over and bake for another 5 to 8 minutes or until browned on bottom.

Remove from oven, place on a plate and serve with whatever dipping sauces you prefer, if any.  I had some home-made Ranch salad dressing in the fridge and decided to use that for dipping and it was a perfect compliment to these cakes.  I think Chili sauce on the side would be good, too (but I didn't think to try that until just now).  :-) 

Gail's Notes:  I made this recipe today (4/25/2013) just because I was in the mood to try something new and different.  Since I had shrimp and canned crab meat on hand, I decided to try combining the two to make cakes from them.  

I went online and searched for shrimp cake recipes and after finding several different recipes and reading reviews of the ones I felt were most interesting, I came up with this (and boy, am I glad I did)!  

The coleslaw mix and the Chili sauce were added just because I wanted to "experiment" a bit.  I love Heinz Chili sauce and I have lately found that coleslaw mix is a useful ingredient in everyday recipes that I never would have thought to add in/try.  It turns out coleslaw mix is very handy and works with many different recipes (of course it helps if you like shredded cabbage or you might not care for experimenting with the mix).

I wasn't sure if my shrimp and crab cakes would turn out good or not, but I just had to give this a go out of sheer curiosity!  Luckily these cakes turned out awesome and I am definitely going to make this again!

Additional note:  These are also good cold for nibbling.  No dip needed!  Yummy!!! 

 

 

Comments

Gail Hurt said…
Paul and I both loved these--will definitely make this again!

Popular posts from this blog

Zia's Sweet Italian Dressing (TNT/Gail's Version)

Schnucks St. Louis Salad (TNT)

Wolfgang Puck's Shrimp With Mustard (TNT)